What is Android Smart Lock (aka Google Smart Lock):
Android Smart Lock is a feature that provides simpler ways to unlock your phone instead of entering your password or PIN each time.
Samsung has 5 different methods you can use to unlock your phone.
This is convenient for places where you’re typically alone or around people you trust on your device.
Note: a secure lock type (PIN, pattern, fingerprint, etc.) must be turned on in order to use Android Smart Lock.
Locate Smart Lock:
1. Swipe your ‘notification’ bar all the way down and tap the gear icon for your settings.
2. Scroll down and tap ‘Security’.
3. Locate and tap ‘Smart Lock’.
4. This is going to ask for permission. Enter your phones pattern or PIN.
The following are the 5 different methods you can use to unlock your phone with Android/Google Smart Lock:
You can choose to setup 1 or more of these methods.
- On-body detection: keep your device unlocked while it’s on you.
- Trusted places: add location where device should be unlocked.
- Trusted devices: add device to keep this one unlocked when it’s nearby.
- Trusted face: setup facial recognition.
- Voice Match: setup Voice Match.
On-body detection: keep your device unlocked while it’s on you.
Tap ‘On-body detection’ and at the top of the screen, simply tap the switch to toggle on or off.
Trusted places: add location where device should be unlocked.
Tap ‘Trusted places.’ This will show a list of previously saved locations that you can select. If your locations don’t look familiar, tap ‘Trusted places’ at the top of the screen and this will drop down all the accounts on your phone. If you don’t have any saved locations or don’t want to use the ones you have, then you can add a new location.
Tap ‘Add trusted place.’ This will open Maps where you can enter and select the location. Smart Lock will allow you to save unlimited locations.
Trusted devices: add device to keep this one unlocked when it’s nearby.
You’ll have to add and connect any new device via your Bluetooth settings beforehand.
- Do this by sliding your notification bar all the way down from the top of your screen.
- Tap and hold the Bluetooth setting until your Bluetooth setting’s pop up.
- Verify Bluetooth is turned on, as well as the device is connected.
- Locate the device to ensure it’s been added.
If you can’t find it, first make sure Bluetooth is enabled on the device you’re trying to connect. Then on your phone tap ‘Pair new device.’ Find and tap the name of your device.
- Once the device has been added, go back to your Security settings using the instructions at the beginning and tap ‘Trusted devices.’
- Tap ‘Add trusted device’ then find and select the desired device.
- To remove, tap and hold the device name, then select ‘REMOVE TRUSTED DEVICE.’
Trusted face: setup facial recognition.
- Tap ‘Trusted face’ and this will bring you to a screen advising the risks that come with setting up facial recognition.
- If you accept these risks, tap ‘SET UP’ in the bottom corner.
- This will then ask for permission for Smart Lock to access your photos and videos.
- Tap ‘Allow’ to continue.
- Once the camera is open, point the camera toward your face and adjust your position until the top of your head and the bottom of your chin are both inside the circle.
- Smart Lock will detect and save your face once you’re in the parameters.
- Finally, you should receive a notice saying you’re all set. Tap ‘Done’ in the bottom right corner.
Voice Match: setup Voice Match.
- Tap ‘Voice Match.’
- Then tap ‘Access with Voice Match.’
This will open a new window saying ‘Access your Assistant with Voice Match.’
- Select ‘Next.’
- You’ll be asked to agree to the terms of service, scroll down and tap ‘I agree.’
- The device will now prompt you to record a new voice model.
- Below the phrase ‘Ok Google’ will be a grey ring.
- When you say ‘Ok Google’ this will give you a check and fill in the ring with a blue section.
- Repeat the phrase until the blue ring is complete.
- Once you’re satisfied, select ‘Finish.’
- You’ll be taken back to your Voice Match settings where you can turn on additional settings.
Lock screen personal results:
Turn this on if you want to enable Voice Match to send messages and access your email, calendar, contacts, and more when your phone is locked.
Turn this on if you want Voice Match to be enabled in Google Maps.
Finally, if you’re unhappy with your voice model you can tap ‘Retrain voice model’ to re-record or ‘Delete’ to remove it.
If this it too difficult, reach out to HelpCloud Technician by-the-hour and we’ll connect to your device and get it done for you.