Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for your computer.
In Windows, Safe mode only allows essential system programs and services to start up at boot.
Safe mode is intended to help fix most, if not all problems within an operating system.
It’s also a good idea to run virus scans in Safe Mode because those scans have more access to scan more documents for any potential malware.
How to Reboot in Safe Mode:
- You’ll first start by powering everything off by shutting down the computer.
- Before you turn it on, locate the F8 key on your keyboard. Typically it should be in the top row of keys. Be ready to press your “F8” key repeatedly on the top of your keyboard as soon as you hit the power button.
- While the computer is turning on, continue to press the F8 key in 1-second intervals until you’re given a black and white menu.
This menu will give you the following options:
- Safe Mode
- Safe Mode with Networking
- Safe Mode with Command Prompt
There will be additional options but you’ll look for either “Safe mode” or “Safe Mode with Networking”.
You’ll choose between the two depending on if you still want the computer to have access to the internet while in Safe Mode. If you don’t need to access the internet while in safe mode then just select Safe Mode.
After you’ve finished diagnosing your issue you can exit Safe mode by rebooting the computer.
If this is too difficult for you then reach out to HelpCloud Technician by-the-hour and let our experts handle the rest.