Method 1: Standard Hijacker removal
- In the top left corner of the screen next to the Apple Icon you should see the word Safari, if not click into the browser and check again.
- Click the word Safari and check under the “General” tab for the Home Page URL. Attempt to change it to a web address, e.g. https://www.google.com
- Reload Safari by closing it and opening it again.
- If unresolved proceed to Method 2.
Method 2: Application Hijacker
- Continuing from Method 1: in Finder, search in your applications folder for a program with a similar name to the address redirecting your searches in Safari.
- Drag the program into the trash right click and empty.
- Restart Safari,
- If unresolved continue to Method 3.
Method 3: Malwarebytes scan and clean
- Download and install Malwarebytes from: https://www.malwarebytes.com
- Perform a scan and confirm removal of any infections found,
- If unresolved after a reboot following this step proceed to method 4.
Method 4: Errant Profile
- In the left corner click the apple and open “System Preferences”.
- Go the Users & Groups,
- Select the Errant Profile in the list and click the minus option at the bottom (it’ll ask for the administrative password).
- Then restart normally to resolve the issue.
External articles with relation to methods above:
If you would prefer a professional technician to resolve this issue then reach out to our Technicians by-the-hour.